Symptoms of cataract and cataract removal surgery

Cataract is the clouding of the eye lens, which prevents the passage of light and blocks the vision. Though, cataract is related to old age, it can also happen due to injury, disease or inflammation of the eye.  Cataract can lead to blindness that is why the surgery must be done to prevent the further deterioration in the lens of the eye. Surgery is the only mean to treat cataract. The common symptoms of the cataract are:  cloudy vision, interference with daily activities like reading or watching TV, sensitive to light, especially to headlight, sunlight, halo or haze around lights. The increase in cataract condition can also decrease the ability to distinguish between colors. The double or multiple visions also starts in the initial stages of the cataract. This problem comes to an end with the growth of cataract. The patient suffering from cataract also may change frequently, the number of spectacles or eye glasses. Some persons with cataract also may get improved near vision with onset of cataract but this is temporarily and vision gets worse with growth in cataract.

Cataract surgery is done to remove the cloudy lens and put clear artificial lens in its place. The advanced cataract surgery is called phacoemulsification, or phaco. In this surgery, the cloudy lens is disintegrated into small pieces with the help of an ultrasonic probe. After gently washing out the debris, the new artificial lens is put in its place.  The incision of only 2.6millimeter is required in this surgery. This incision is self healing. The stitches are not required in this surgery.

Before the surgery, the local anesthesia is given. This reduces the sensation of pain and also prevents Cataract surgery in Delhi the movements of the eye during surgery. Eye drops as anesthesia are placed on the eye. This prevents the pain sensation but does not prevent the movements of the eye. But under both anesthesia, the person is awake and in full awareness during operation.

The artificial lens, which are inserted into the place of cataract lens are of two types. The folded lens and non- folded lens .The non folded one are made with hard plastic and large incision has to be made to insert them. Folded one are made from soft acrylic plastic. The incision for inserting them into eye has to be very small. They do not require any stitches and healing time with them is only 4-5 days. The chance of any infection is also to zero.

Again the folded lens can be monofocal or multifocal. The monofocal lenses give enhanced vision but for near vision the patient has to wear glasses. This monofocal provides improved vision only for one distance. It cannot change like the original lens. Only the use of multifocal gives Lasik laser in Delhi independence from glasses.  The multifocal lens has improved vision for at both distance and near points.  More than 80 % patients will never need any glasses for any activity. The remaining 20 % also prefer multifocal for both near and distance visions.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s